By now, you have seen all the 80% lower kits, 80% lower jigs, AR-15 parts, and 80% lowers; but you may now be asking yourself, “What do I need to go from start to finish?”
Research is great for making an informed decision on a purchase, but when all that research leaves you feeling more lost than when you started, you end up paralyzed by the sheer amount of decisions and doubt. Well folks, today you will walk away with a definitive checklist of exactly what to pick up before your first build.
Being that it is your first build (or maybe you’ve done one before and weren’t happy with the results) we are going to explore the simplest, least expensive route that requires the least amount of skill.
- 80% lower
- Lower parts kit (For the budding armorers, I would recommend a CMMG lower parts kit as they come in color coded bags that make installation a snap when installed in order.)
- Buffer tube assembly with buffer and spring
- Butt stock
- A complete upper
- Easy Jig GEN 1 80% Lower Jig (this is literally the easiest way to go)
- Easy Jig GEN 1 Tool Kit (this kit uses less than half of the bits that drill press kits use)
- Router (Model #: PCE6430)
- Standard Hand Drill
- Drill Press Vise
- Cutting fluid or WD-40
For Your Safety:
- Eye protection (aluminum flakes in the eye… Not fun)
- Gloves (the shavings will be sharp)
- A face mask
- A deburring tool (helps with cleaning out the safety selector hole)
- Fine grit emery cloth (for smoothing out any rough spots and fine fitting any parts that don’t quite fit)
…that’s it. Anything else is just fluff. So there you have it, a barebones list of the absolute minimum tools and parts to make your own incarnation of the Second Amendment in the comfort of your own garage. Or shed. Coupled with a little basic knowledge of a hand drill and a router and you will be on your way to exercising the most fundamental of American freedoms. At 80% Lower, we’ve created product packages that help you get started with a few simple clicks like our 80% Lower Jig Sets.